Monday, September 12, 2011

10 years on

It's one of those days you remember what you did no matter how much time has passed. It was around 3 PM in Serbia and I was beggining to cap off my day at work(while the workday on the US East Coast was just about to begin) when I saw a hyperlink on one of Serbian news portals that simply said:"Plane hits World Trade Center in New York". I thought it was some cesna-type training or advertising planes that went out of control and did not even click on the link. It was my colleagues who alerted me about half an hour later of the extent of what was going on.

I'll readily admit that I felt no sympathy at all for America. The US/NATO war of agression was still fresh in memory. Still, I knew it was inappropriate of a civilized human being to feel joy or satisfaction, so I did not succumb to that, even though many around me did(yet a great many of those gleefully casted up until recently, at least, their votes for the treasonous pro-NATO parties that form the current governement of Serbia. Go figure!). You know how they say that the real oposite of love is indifference? Well, that is what I felt about 9/11 back then: indifference. Indifference about the act, the perpetrators, the consequences, everything, even the victims...

Later, of course, I learned much more and better. I've seen that there is much more to America then it's ruling ideology and establishment and that this other part is not necessarily ill-disposed towards the Serb people. Due to history, recent and otherwise, I did have a reflexively negative view of islam before 9/11 but it was only after that I learned extensively about it from various sources. All this and much more made me a substantially different person then the one 10 years ago.

Which is why I can not agree with the assesment that nothing has changed. While it is true that the establishment is authistically trying to continue to hold the course, they are having more and more trouble in doing so. It is because us regular people have changed. I certainly am not the only one who has gained new, previously concealed knowledge of the world. Yes, we may look irrelevant now, but in the long run we are the ones that truly matter. Just as Hans Sachs sings in "Meistersingers von Nurnberg", what remains is the holy art, i.e. the spirit of the people(and in case you are wondering, yes, I am a Wagnerian). Or if you dislike the master of Bayreuth, here's a quote from George Orwell:

"If there was hope, it must lie in the proles, because only there, in those swarming disregarded masses, eighty-five percent of the population of Oceania, could the force to destroy the Party ever be generated."


I do not believe, for various reasons, that I should apologize for my sentiments 10 years ago, but I will say this: knowing what I know now, I most certainly would not have felt as I did.

1 comment:

Gray Falcon said...

I still think the sort of "paradigm shift" that the government and its compliant media tried to invoke in the aftermath of 9/11 did not, in fact, happen. The government forgot nothing and learned nothing, choosing to re-fight Gulf War 1 and inherit Clinton's Balkans policy.
As for the people, for all the anger and frustration with the policies of the past decade, most of them still don't realize exactly what went wrong, when and how. And aren't inclined to listen when someone tries to explain.
I would say that the response to 9/11 wasn't a paradigm shift so much as a regression to the mean. If the paradigm shift does occur, it will probably be due to the fallout from the financial collapse.